Development Services


The Development Services Department handles all plan review and inspection functions for construction and development within the Town.  The Town's Building and Zoning Code include Federal, State and County Codes, adopted by reference.

Temporary Office Hours:
Tuesday and Thursday – 8:30am – 12:30pm

Temporary Field Inspection Hours:
Tuesday and Thursday – 1pm – 4:30pm (typically)

The Development Services Office is located in the Town Hall.




Gary Lake

Gary Lake, Development Services Administrator

fax: 262-796-0339
Leon Sagadin - Plumbing Inspector 262-796-3790
fax: 262-796-0339
Charlie Dwyer - Electrical Inspector

cell: 262-893-5170
fax: 262-796-0339


Uniform Dwelling Code Changes

Effective January 1, 2016, the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services has updated the Uniform Dwelling Code, ch. SPS 320-325.

This is the most recent revision since 2011.  These revisions update and clarify the Uniform Dwelling Code to make it consistent with contemporary construction practices, products, and materials. The rules clear up confusing and ambiguous portions of the code. They clarify language relating to stairs, ramps, and landings, and accessory guards and handrails. These rules also update references to national standards and provide flexibility in meeting exiting requirements. Further they establish safer standards for dryer exhaust and clarify ceiling height, foundation anchorage, and framing and fastening provisions.  Also incorporated within the package are updates to single family deck provisions addressing materials, structural integrity as well as additional anchorage provisions.

Hyperlinks have been set up in the attached link to direct you to the referenced Code Section.

The second link is a direct link to the text of the new Deck Code language. These are substantial upgrades to the previous Code and will likely be a point of some confusion in the upcoming construction season, especially for homeowners planning a deck project this summer.

Building Code

The Town has adopted the Wisconsin Uniform Dwelling Code (UDC) as part of the Town of Brookfield Building Code for one and two family construction. The Wisconsin Enrolled Commercial Building Code has been adopted for commercial and multi-family construction.

These Codes basically require permits for any alteration or repair that impacts structure or exiting. Ordinary maintenance does not require a Building Permit. Alterations in the interior of existing construction, like basement remodeling or the reconfiguration of spaces (kitchen, master suite, et cetera) require a Building Permit. An addition to a structure would obviously require a Building Permit, as would a deck, since a deck must support occupancy loads and resist frost damage to both the deck and the principle structure.

Check the Building Inspection Permit Fee schedule for all associated fees with the Building Code.

Fences, on the other hand, do not require a Building Permit. There are, however, restrictions for fences in the Zoning Code on page 20.

Zoning Code

The Town of Brookfield Zoning Code provides a framework for the review of proposed developments (or re-development) of land, to provide for orderly development, protect the safety and welfare of the residents and to protect property values. The Zoning Code defines limitations as to uses permitted and sets dimensional standards for setbacks, minimum lots size, et cetera.

Town-wide Zoning Map is available here.

Accessory Structures

Town Ordinances regarding Accessory Structures have changed recently, and the web site does not yet have the most recent language.

First, such structures are allowed in a rear yard only. Installation is not allowed in street yards or side yards. (Double frontage lots (corner lots or lots with streets on both ends) are limited to a greater extent than a standard lot with a street yard and neighboring properties on the other three sides.) Only one structure is permitted per parcel. More than one structure may be allowed upon the issuance of a Conditional Use Permit.

Permits are required for sheds and they must be installed on a concrete slab. (Both recent changes to the Code.)

The shed must be a minimum of 10 feet from the principle structure.

The offset required from property lines varies with the size of the proposed shed. A threshold of 120 square feet exists, above and below which the offset differs.

For sheds 120 square feet and smaller, they can be installed with an offset of five (5) feet minimum. (This allows for maintenance (mowing) around the shed without incursion onto neighboring properties.)

For sheds greater than 120 square feet, the offset must meet the minimum offset required in the Zoning District, which, depending on your properties location, may vary from 14 to 20 feet.

For all sheds, exterior finish materials must be consistent with a residential palette of exterior finish materials. (No blue tarps or vertical metal siding.) Placement on the property should be sensitive to sight lines from activity areas on adjacent properties (patios, decks) or screened with landscaping.

Permit fee is based on cubic volume, but, most likely, $120.

Permit Forms

Click on these links to Application Forms:

Building Permit Application Plumbing Permit
Heating & Air Conditioning Occupancy Permit
Grading & Erosion Control Sign Permit
Pool & Deck Permit Commercial Tenant Alteration
Electrical Permit Driveway Permit Application
Application for Electrical License Special Occupancy Permit
Plan Commission Application Utility Permit Application
Demolition Permit  


All permits can be filled out online, printed and submitted to the Building Inspection Department.  Make sure to closely follow the directions for submittal.

You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view these files.


Fire Department Inspection Forms

Fire Protection System Permit


All permits must be filled out online, printed and submitted to the Fire Department.  Make sure to closely follow the directions for submittal.

You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view these files.


Agricultural Land Preservation Conversion Fees

Attached is a memo designating the conversion fees established by the Wis. Dept. of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection for each acre of land to be rezoned or portion thereof out of the Farmland Preservation Zoning District.

Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Carbon monoxide alarms required in 1 & 2 family residential structures

As of February 1, 2011, there are Wisconsin requirements for both smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms in almost all one- and two-family dwellings, regardless of the building’s age. The new carbon monoxide safety net is for dwellings with fuel burning appliances, fireplaces or attached garages.

Owners and Renters Have Responsibilities
Owners are responsible for alarm installations and occupants have responsibility to maintain the alarms. Owners must repair or replace alarms within five days of written notice from an occupant or an inspector. Authorized inspectors may enter dwellings to inspect alarms when requested by owners or occupants. Tampering with alarms is illegal, dangerous, and can cause serious liability concerns.

Where and What Kinds?
Alarms must be installed in the basement, and on each floor level. The alarms need not be installed in attics, garages, or storage areas. The alarms may be separate or combination units, powered by batteries, or in the case of new construction, tied into the home’s electrical system, interconnected with battery backup. Installation must follow manufacturers’ instructions. Those instructions are provided with new alarms and usually can be found on the manufacturers’ Web sites. The manufacturer should be identified on the alarm. Alarms used in Wisconsin must be approved by Underwriters Laboratories.

Town Calendar



Please note the ordinances, agendas, and minutes are available here online but to contact the Town Hall for final, approved, and legal documents.