What do I need to submit?


A Fence Permit and a site plan showing the fence location is required for all fences in the Town. A permit fee is required as listed in the Schedule of Fees.

Fence regulations are set forth in Section 17.02(14)(g)(11) of the Municipal Code.

Please see the Fence Checklist and Fence Diagram to determine what is required before installing a fence.

If you have any questions, please reach out to the building inspector or town planner. 

Accessory buildings (garages, sheds, gazebos etc.)

May include garages, garden or utility sheds, playhouses, or gazebos. 

All accessory buildings require a building permit and must comply with the regulations set forth in Section 17.02(14)(g)(1) of the zoning code. 

Accessory buildings shall be screened from view from the street and all property lines via landscaping, trellises or other means to minimize the impact and visual clutter. Sheds must be consistent in design and finish materials with the surrounding area. 

Accessory structures shall not occupy more than 20% of the rear yard, with a maximum area of 625 square feet. 

Accessory structures shall be located at least 10 feet from the principal structure; shall be on a pad of concrete; and shall not exceed 11 feet in height. 

Accessory structures that are 120 square feet or less have a minimum lot line setback of 5 feet.

Accessory structures over 120 square feet in size shall meet the offset requirements of the zoning district. 

Only one accessory building is allowed in residential districts, except when a conditional use permit is granted. 

You will need to provide a site plan showing the exact location of the proposed structure and include setbacks to all property lines and the distance from the principal structure (overhang to overhang). A survey of the property should also be provided.

Building plans for the structure shall be submitted to the building inspector and descriptions or renderings of the proposed building materials shall be included.

If you have any additional questions, please contact the Town Planner. 


Decks shall conform to the offset and setback requirements for the district in which they are located and shall require the issuance of a building permit. 

You will need to prepare a site plan showing the location of the deck and include the proposed setback to each property line. 

You will also need to provide plans for the building inspector. 

Reach out to the building inspector if you have any questions or if you are ready to submit for a building permit. 


Driveway permits are required:

  • Prior to the placement and construction of a private driveway which provides ingress and egress from any parcel of land to any Town road or other public right-of-way. 
  • Prior to the reconstruction, relocation, or expansion of a private driveway which provides ingress and egress from any parcel of land to any Town road or other public right-of-way. 
  • Prior to the installation, replacement, or reconstruction of any culvert located in the Town right-of-way. 
  • Prior to any existing driveway being resurfaced with concrete. A driveway being resurfaced with concrete shall be constructed to the requirements for a new driveway.

Exception: Existing gravel or asphalt driveways may be repaired or resurfaced with gravel or asphalt without a permit. 

Reach out to the building inspector prior to submitting a Driveway Permit Application

Property Line Disputes

The Town of Brookfield does not get involved in property line disputes between property owners. We can provide a map showing the general location of your property lines, but you will likely need to have a survey completed for your property to show the exact location of your property boundary. If issues continue to arise, you may want to discuss the matter with an attorney. 

Occupancy Permit Requirements

An occupancy permit is required any time you are moving into a new space/building in the Town of Brookfield. Prior to filling out the occupancy permit application, please determine if your proposed land use (business type) is permitted in the appropriate zoning district. 

First, review the zoning map (link) to determine which zoning district your property is located in. Second, review Section 17.04 of the zoning code (link) to determine if your proposed business is listed under the zoning district’s list of permitted uses.

If you are unsure if the proposed land use is permitted, please reach out to the town planner to verify. 

If permitted, please submit the application to the building inspector and provide any requested additional information or plans.

The occupancy permit will be granted once the building/space is suitable for occupancy.